Tuesday, February 9, 2021

The Page 69 Test: *BANEWIND* by M.B. Chapman @mbchapman90 #page69 #blogtour

They say if you want to really find a good book, go to page 69 (the middle and meat of the book) and you like it, it's definitely worth reading. For today's feature, I'm zooming in on page 69 of M.B. Chapman's new young adult fiction, BANEWIND




“Have fun on your date, Vee,” Danny says, as I throw on my cream cardigan.

My dad looks up from his work at the kitchen table and stares at me over the top of his glasses.

“You have a date tonight?” The surprise in his voice is obvious. “Who is he?”

“Just some new guy from school.”

I tease my hair one more time while I’m next to the mirror in the foyer. I’m still trying to avoid any prolonged conversations with him.

“We’re showing him around. You know, trying to make him feel welcome.”

“Yeah, in a dark movie theater.” Danny giggles. “Try not to get mono.”

“Do you even know what mono is?” My father laughs as he stands from his chair, and comes over to pull me to his chest.

“Dad! My hair.” I try to resist his hug.

Only after I return the embrace does he let his arms drop.

“You be safe tonight, Jeannie.” He gives my forehead a peck. “And don’t get pressured into doing anything you aren’t comfortable with. Remember, it’s okay to say no.”

“Dad…” I feel my face flush red with embarrassment. “It isn’t like that. Trust me.”

“Well, if things do go that way, remember to use protection, okay?”

“Oh, my God!” I cover my ears. “This conversation isn’t happening. Goodbye.”

I slam the front door shut, but can still hear Danny cracking up.

“He’s so immature.” I scoff.

The horn honks again.



What do you think? Would you keep reading?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment