Friday, December 15, 2017

Q&A: Mystery Author Sean Keefer



While growing up in South Carolina, Sean didn't realize it, but he was absorbing the styles, mannerisms, idiosyncrasies, dialects and the culture of his home.   Add to this the time he spent traveling the other Carolina for school and then North America for work, he collected a vast array of experiences and observations from which to draw upon and bring together in his writing.

After studying law in North Carolina, Sean settled in Charleston, South Carolina and instantly became enamored with the people as well as the city.  

One day he started writing and the words, generally, kept flowing. A page became a chapter which ultimately became a book known as The Trust.  After this the process started again and The Solicitor was the end result. Hopefully, if you are reading this you either have, or soon will have, your very own copy of one or both.   

The experience of taking two novels from conceptualization to print has been one of frustration peppered with increasing amounts of reward.  Each step from the first words hitting the page to ultimately holding a book in hand has been a personal reward.

When Sean is not writing he practices Family Law and works as a Domestic Mediator and lives with his Wife and an ever-expanding pack of rescue canines – the current count is 4.  As well, Sean can frequently be found wandering the lowcountry of South Carolina with his camera, playing guitar in assorted venues around Charleston or exploring the underwater world of the southeast.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK


As a book bloggin’ and book luvin’ Princess, I’m always curious to find out how authors got the ideas for their books.  How did you come up with the idea for your book?

In South Carolina, where The Solicitor is set, we call out prosecuting attorneys or district attorneys, solicitors. Years back there was a particularly nasty election for the position of solicitor in the judicial district where I live. I began thinking about one of the candidates being murdered and the
new solicitor’s first case being the prosecution of the alleged murderer of his former political rival. This expanded and became The Solicitor.

Can you tell us what your book is about?

Building on the above, after one of the candidates for solicitor in Charleston County is murdered, his friend, Noah Parks is charged with his murder. The story is about Noah’s quest to clear his name and find the real killer.

Can you tell us a little about the main characters of your book?

The main character is a local Charleston, South Carolina attorney who has been charged with murder.  Together with the help of his fiancée, Anna Beth Cross and his best friend, Charleston police detective, Emmett Gabriel, he will attempt to prove he didn’t commit this crime.
There to fight him at every step for the way will be the newly minted Charleston County solicitor, S. Bart Michaels who is intent in seeing Noah convicted for the death of Andrew Stephens.


If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would that be?

I have written legal thrillers for so long, I can’t see myself writing anything else.  If I did, it would likely be a mystery about a dog owning crime solving guitar player.

What would you say is one of your interesting writing quirks?

My favorite place to write is in a hotel lobby.

Do you hear from your readers?  What do they say?

            I am fortunate to hear from a number of my readers. Their message is always the same.  Quite your day job and write full time.  They tell me they want more books.  I am always flattered and humbled when I hear this.

What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

            I have never had any tough criticism. Rather, every person who has provided me feedback has given me something that I have taken away to make my writing better. I understand that not everyone will read my books the same way. But I always work to provide readers the best book possible and listen to anything they have to say.

What has been your best accomplishment?

            Receiving feedback from people who have enjoyed my books.

Do you Google yourself?

            I used to, but rarely do anymore.  However, I do have a confession, after I read this question, I did just that. It appears I am still here.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?

            Two – one nonfiction book that is being edited and the third book in the Noah Parks mystery series that is in progress.

Fun question – if you were princess or prince, what’s one thing you would do to make your kingdom a better place?

            I would probably abdicate my title and go do something productive with the people.

Do you have anything specific that you would like to say to your readers?

            A portion of all proceeds from my writing are donated to canine causes.


No comments:

Post a Comment