Friday, November 29, 2019

5 Questions with James D. Bell, Author of 'Maximilian's Treasure'



James D. Bell is an award-winning author and retired Judge who received the highest bar association approval ratings ever given to a Mississippi Circuit or County Judge. He is listed in Preeminent Lawyers, Outstanding Lawyers of America and Top 100 Attorneys of North America.  The son of a Choctaw mother and a Mississippi businessman, Judge Bell is devoted to his wife, Joanne.  They live in Brandon, Mississippi and have four children.  Judge Bell practices law in Jackson, Mississippi, but is frequently called back to the bench by the Mississippi Supreme Court for short term assignments.

Q: What’s inside the mind of a legal thriller author?
A:  I’m drawing a blank.  Let me call John Grisham and get back to you.
Ok, I’m ready now.  At the core is a burning desire to see justice prevail.  My characters come alive in my imagination.  I can hear their dialog, see their expressions and smell the gun smoke.  Mystery and motive intrigue me, but my thoughts quickly turn to action, adventure and romance.
Q: Tell us why readers should buy Maximilian’s Treasure.
A:  You will find a treasure (a message) that will enrich your life, and you will be thoroughly entertained with explosive, fast paced action, courtroom drama, romance and belly laughs.  
Q: What makes a good legal thriller author?
A:  Motivation, imagination and experience.  I lived real life drama hundreds of times in courtrooms; where fear and courage are mixed with lies and truth and seasoned with foolishness and wisdom, resulting in crushed spirits and overwhelming joy.  I fell in love with the quest for justice the moment I first stepped into a courtroom.  I had a passion to write about my experiences, but for decades I lacked the proper motivation.  Every book and every movie used to have a purpose, a “moral to the story.”  I feel that we have lost that purpose with some of today’s entertainment.  I am motivated to bring back the moral to the story.  That is why I write.  Maximilian’s Treasure is packed with hidden treasurers for the reader to discover.  I drew upon my actual experiences to bring life to Maximilian’s Treasure.  I participated in many of the conversations, I dove the reefs, crossed the river, travelled the roads, climbed the cliffs, hung by my fingernails over the precipice, entered the cave behind the waterfall, just as described in the book. Ultimately, I found my Maximilian’s Treasure.  If you persevere, you will too.
Q: Where can readers find out more about you and your work?
Q: What has writing taught you?
A:  Don’t be intimidated by a blank page or blank computer screen.  Be intentional.  Set aside time to write and follow through.  Don’t quit.  Finish the story and start the next one.  Dream great dreams and do great deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment