Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Author Interview: Psychological Suspense Author Deborah Serani






Deborah Serani is an award-winning author and psychologist who has been in practice for thirty years. She is also a professor at Adelphi University and is a go-to media expert for psychological issues. Her interviews can be found in Newsday, Psychology Today, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times, The Associated Press, and affiliate radio programs at CBS and NPR, among others. Dr. Serani has also been a technical advisor for the NBC television show, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. The recurring character, Judge D. Serani, was named after her.

★WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS★

 
As a book bloggin’ and book luvin’ Princess, I’m always curious to find out how authors got the ideas for their books.  Can you tell us how you got the idea to write your book? 

In my early training as a clinician, I worked with someone who was released from prison on a technicality. Part of his release was that he was court mandated treatment. I was assigned the case, and ,initially, extremely nervous working with this person. My supervisor at the time was concerned too, and stayed late while I saw the patient in the office building during every session. What I learned over time, however, was that even the most damaged, violent people have a story to tell. And that understanding is not the same as forgiving. Over the course of many months treating this patient, I came to understand why this person did the things that sent him to prison. I didn’t excuse it. Nor did he. This case taught me that everyone has a life story that can send them down a path of kindness or a path of evil, or many places in between.

Can you tell us a little about the main characters of your book? 

The main character of THE NINTH SESSION is a middle-aged woman, named Alicia Reese. She’s a trained psychoanalyst who’s been in practice a long time. She’s also a  CODA, a Child of Deaf Adults, and is fluent in ASL. She’s used to feeling comfortable in quiet and silence, but the recent loss of her husband has amplified the soundlessness of her life in negative ways. But soon, a new patient arrives, and changes her way of life …and everything she’s ever known. 

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would that be? 

I’d tell my younger self to save all of my earlier writings. I used to write poems, short stories and science fiction novellas when I was in grade school and junior high. I didn’t take care of them and they vanished over the years. I wish I had them to read now!

What would you say is one of your interesting writing quirks? 

I need to have complete silence when I write. I wish I could be one of those writers who can have music on, a window open listening to the kids laughing outside, or life bustling in and around me in the house.

Do you hear from your readers?  What do they say? 

With my nonfiction books, I get asked a lot of questions about how to find a good therapist or that reading my books have guided others to get the help they need. My fiction novel hasn’t been out yet for me to hear from readers. But I look forward to that.

What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author? 

I remember when I sent my very first manuscript out to an agent who was interested in my novel. The agent mailed back within a few hours telling me in two words that it was, “boring and unsellable.” That stung. For a long while. But, I’m glad I didn’t let that hurtful criticism stop me from going on. Reading is truly a subjective experience. What one person likes, another may not.

What has been your best accomplishment? 

As a writer, hearing from another person that my work helped them, moved them, or changed their life. That’s really the most meaningful moment for me.

Do you Google yourself? 

Of course!

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have? 

Two unfinished books right now. One is another psychological suspense novel. The other is a nonfiction book on postpartum mental health disorders. I often write fiction and nonfiction at the same time. Go figure.

Fun question – if you were princess or prince, what’s one thing you would do to make your kingdom a better place? 

Can I be a magical princess? If so, I’d rid the world of any and all illnesses. If I was a real princess, sans magic, I’d work to end famine in our country and around the world.

Do you have anything specific that you would like to say to your readers? 

Just a big thank you for taking the time to check out THE NINTH SESSION.





Dr. Alicia Reese, a recent widow and a CODA – a child of Deaf Adults, takes on a new patient. Lucas Ferro reveals the reason for his consultation is that he wasn’t really open with his previous therapist. After gaining Reese’s trust, he shares aspects of his life that are clearly disturbing – experiences that create anxiety and panic, but also reveal horrifying psychopathology. Instead of referring Ferro elsewhere, Reese chooses to continue working with him, feeling reinvigorated by the challenge of his case.

As sessions progress, and Ferro’s disclosures become more menacing, Reese finds herself wedged between the cold hard frame of professional ethics and the integrity of personal truth – and learns just how far she’s willing to go, willing to risk and willing to lose to do the right thing.

★★★★★ORDER YOUR COPY★★★★★

Amazon → https://tinyurl.com/y6qz2sto

No comments:

Post a Comment