Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Book Review: The Color of Together: Mixed Metaphors of Connectedness by Milton Brasher-Cunningham #bookreview @miltybc @pumpupyourbook


The Color of Together begins with the primary colors of life–grief, grace, and gratitude–and enlarges the palette to talk about the work of art that is our life together in these days. The idea for the book began with understanding that grief is not something we get over or work through, but something we learn to move around in–something that colors our lives. Grace is the other given. Gratitude is the response to both that offers the possibility of both healing and hope.

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/30Urxsj

 Barnes & Noble → https://bit.ly/3jZ8OD6


"The author is very genuine and very insightful."

 
I have to say this was the most interesting book I have read lately. I haven't written reviews for awhile so I thought I'd jump back in with Milton Brasher-Cunningham's The Color of Together: Mixed Metaphors of Connectedness. I have to admit I didn't know what the title meant. I was thinking it was more of a self-help book which in a way it is but it goes deeper than that. It's a life meaning book. The author is very genuine and very insightful. I want to copy something he wrote at the beginning of the book. It goes "I was going to live the rest of my life without my dad. I was going to live the rest of my life moving around in grief. Whatever else happened, that circumstance would not change. What could change was my perspective." It was at the point that I got it. It was like a lightbulb moment. This book was going to show me how not to run from unpleasant experiences but to live fully by working my way around them...learning to live with them so to speak.

My goodness this book was an eye-opener. My mind is refreshed and I am on my first cup of coffee. Reading through this book this almost winter morning, I come upon real meanings of life - one after the other. Here's one..."We are all born in the middle of the story, and we will all exit before the story is finished." We are all born in the middle of the story. Changes your perspective, doesn't it?

Another quote that I loved - "When we allow ourselves to presume our privilege is deserved, we diminish our capacity for gratitude."  This book is full of eye openers. I have someone in my family who believes the world owes him a living and no he is not grateful for anything. So sad. 

This book is jam packed with these. I wish everyone would give it a chance.

I am so glad I read this book. Awesome, awesome, awesome. 











Milton Brasher-Cunningham was born in Texas, grew up in Africa, and has spent the last thirty years in New England and North Carolina. He is an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ, and has worked as a high school English teacher, a professional chef, a trainer for Apple, and is now an editor. He is the author of three books, 
Keeping the Feast: Metaphors for the MealThis Must Be the Place: Reflections on Home, and his latest, The Color of Together.

He loves the Boston Red Sox, his mini schnauzers, handmade music, and feeding people. He lives in Guilford, Connecticut, with Ginger, his wife, and their three Schnauzers. He writes regularly at donteatalone.com.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website: https://www.torchflamebooks.com/milton-brasher-cunningham

Blog: www.donteatalone.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/miltybc

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/milton.brashercunningham

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5863259.Milton_Brasher_Cunningham


No comments:

Post a Comment