Tuesday, August 31, 2021

🏰 Author Interview Featuring Cheryl Carpinello, Author ANCIENT TALES & LEGENDS SERIES #interview

 


I have a very talented lady here today to tell us all about her new YA historical fiction series, Ancient Tales & Legends. Her name is Cheryl Carpinello and her series information as well as buying link is below. Enjoy the interview!

First, find out more about Cheryl and her hot new series...



Cheryl Carpinello
 taught high school English for 25 years. During that time, she worked with numerous students who didn’t like to read for a variety of reasons. However, she discovered that even the most reluctant readers became engaged in the classroom and in reading when she introduced units on King Arthur and the works of ancient world writers. Upon retiring, she set out to write fast-paced, action-filled stories in these setting to encourage young readers to read more. When not writing, you can find her reading, spending time with family, and traveling.

“In 2008, my husband and I spent three weeks traveling around Egypt via train and visiting all those magnificent archeological sites. Since we returned home, Egypt has never been far from my thoughts. I truly believe that I left part of my soul in that ancient land. To satisfy my longing to return, I wrote Sons of the Sphinx and Tutankhamen Speaks.” Visit her on Twitter and Facebook.




As a book bloggin’ and book luvin’ Princess, I’m always curious to find out how authors got the ideas for their books. Can you tell us how you got the idea to write your books?

I’ve always loved ancient Egypt. After spending three weeks exploring that country in 2008, I toyed with several story ideas over the next four years. I settled on


Tutankhamen because of all the mystery surrounding him, his family, his kingship, and his death. The translation of the stela that sits between the Sphinx’s paws gave me the story line for Sons of the Sphinx. However, Tutankhamen insisted that his story (Tutankhamen Speaks) be told first. 

Can you tell us a little about the main characters of your books?

Rosa (Sons of the Sphinx) is a typical 15-year-old, almost. She has a unique gift—she views it as a curse—that sets her apart from her friends and classmates. In fact, because of this gift/curse, Rosa really has no real friends. You see, the dead talk to her. Yep, you heard right. Rosa hears the dead. It’s hard enough being a teenager without something like this hanging over your head. But, Rosa is also a spunky girl and not about to be cowed by ghosts!

Tutankhamen(Tutankhamen Speaks) was every bit a Pharaoh of Ancient Egypt, but he was also a young boy growing up in a society that didn’t tolerate deviation from the norm. Underneath all the mysticism surrounding the Pharaohs/Living Gods of the people breathes a boy who laughs, loves, and harbors regrets. He was/is a ruler, a husband, and the defender of his family.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would that be?

Keep dreaming and imaging! Don’t worry about being different. Be yourself.

What would you say is one of your interesting writing quirks?

I usually write most of my stories in my head. Then before I even look at a computer, I write my entire story in longhand.

Do you hear from your readers?  What do they say?

I do hear from readers. Many times, kids will come back to a show I’m at to buy another of my books /or to tell me how they enjoyed my Arthurian Legend stories. One young reader from Texas send me a note: “I think your books are AWESOME!” Lots of adults tell me how much they love reading about ancient Egypt as they are buying my books!


What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

The best piece of advice/criticism comes from an instructor: Lock out your critical voice. Let your creative voice write the story. It knows what to do.

What has been your best accomplishment?

In my writing: Finishing my MG/Teen Guinevere trilogy in 2020.

In my life: My family

Do you Google yourself?

No.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?

Two from years and years ago. Currently, only the one I’m working on now.

Fun question – if you were princess or prince, what’s one thing you would do to make your kingdom a better place?

Ensure that kids can grow up being kids.

Do you have anything specific that you would like to say to your readers?

My stories are all about growing up, even as adults. My characters never give up or give in. Feed your dreams, your imagination, and your knowledge by reading. Only you can put a limit on what you can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment