Wednesday, February 9, 2022

🏰 Author Interview Featuring Robert Charles Lee, Author THROUGH DANGEROUS DOORS #authorinterview #interview #puyb @pumpupyourbook

 


I have a very talented gentleman here today to tell us all about his new memoir, Through Dangerous Doors. His name is Robert Charles LeeEnjoy the interview but first, let's find out more about Robert and his hot new book...



Robert Charles Lee
 is a retired risk scientist with over twenty-five years of academic and applied risk analysis, decision analysis, and risk management experience in a wide variety of contexts. He has authored over one hundred peer-reviewed scientific works, as well as over one hundred technical reports for industry and government agencies. Prior to the professional risk work he worked in laboratories a bit, but otherwise was a manual laborer until he reckoned that he could use his brain for a living.

Robert has a BS in Botany, a BS in Science Education, an MS in Environmental Health, and a Certificate in Integrated Business Administration. He is ABD (all but dissertation) in a Toxicology PhD program. He is an ordained Minister and has an honorary Doctorate of Metaphysics from the Universal Life Church and is a Member of the Nova Scotia L’Ordre du Bon Temps, or Order of the Good Time.

He was born in North Carolina and lived there for over twenty years, but has since lived in Alaska, Oregon, Washington, and Alberta. He was also homeless for a time while a laborer in the Western United States. He currently resides in Colorado.

Robert and his wife Linda have climbed hundreds of technical and non-technical mountain, rock, ice, and canyon routes, hiked thousands of miles in several countries, and skied many miles of vertical feet at resorts and in the backcountry.

Robert is an avid amateur photographer, largely of outdoor subjects. He is a musician who plays hand, stick, and mallet percussion, and who can sing, but rarely does for unclear reasons. He is an amateur sound engineer and producer and has recorded more than a thousand written and improvisational instrumental pieces with other musicians to date. He was trying to learn to relax in retirement, but then he discovered non-technical writing. He has written a memoir and a poetry collection and is working on short stories.

Through Dangerous Doors is his latest book.

Visit his website at https://robertcharleslee.com or follow him on Goodreads.

____________


In a life defined by risk, Robert Charles Lee experiences a poor and free-ranging childhood in the racist South of the 1960s. After his father dies, the family grows dysfunctional. As a result, teen-age Robert seeks sanity and solace by rock climbing solo and driving cars fast. He wins a scholarship and graduates from university, but still seeks to escape the South.

Moving to Alaska and the Western US, Robert works in a series of dangerous and brutal jobs. He meets and marries Linda, who enjoys climbing and skiing difficult mountains as much as he does. Simultaneously, Robert trains in the science of risk to become a respected professional risk scientist.

Robert shares his remarkable story as he guides the reader through a series of dangerous but rewarding doors, culminating in a vivid journey of adventure and risk.


 

As a book bloggin’ and book luvin’ Princess, I’m always curious to find out how authors got the ideas for their books.  Can you tell us how you got the idea to write your book?


I happened to read a couple of memoirs in succession, shortly before I retired from my career. I don’t read much nonfiction aside from articles on the Web, so this was unusual. One was Westover’s excellent memoir “Educated.” Although her childhood was weirder than mine in several ways, it made me ponder the risks associated with a poor and suboptimal upbringing, as well as the positive effect of education. I won’t name the other memoir (you never know who might review your book), because I thought it was way too long, dreadfully boring, and unworthy of the acclaim and prizes it received. It did, however, make me consider that perhaps I could do better. This book also emphasized the value of good editors, which apparently the author lacked. If nothing else, my book is tight, in large part due to a good editor.

Another influence was associated with retirement. I was asked to give a short talk on risk and how it has affected my life during my final corporate meeting. As I considered what I would say, I realized I’m one of the few risk scientists I know who has experienced a personally risky life. So, I thought a memoir focused on risk, from the perspective of somebody who has both studied and ‘lived’ risk, would be interesting to readers. It’s probably been a shock to some of my work and academic colleagues, and I would have been reluctant to publish it while I was still working (I wouldn’t have had the time to write it, regardless). Although most of my colleagues knew I was a mountain climber, they didn’t know about my risky early years. However, I’ve received positive feedback from many.

Can you give us an excerpt?


Climbing Magazine recently published a short excerpt. They also asked me to write a preface: https://www.climbing.com/people/what-happens-when-the-leader-falls/

This includes a few photos from the book as well.


If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would that be?

Keep a journal, and take photographs if you plan to write from your life’s experiences. Writing may be easy, but it’s a lot of work. Editing is hard, and even more work.


What would you say is one of your interesting writing quirks?

I love to tell stories, and I write like I talk. Maybe this isn’t unusual, but I can’t imagine the authors of many books I’ve read talk like they write. At least I hope not.


Do you hear from your readers?  What do they say?

I’ve received a lot of good verbal feedback, and a few great written reviews. Many friends and former colleagues are surprised by stories of my early life, because I rarely discussed it. Revealing some of my early risky activities may have adversely affected my career. This is one reason I waited until I retired from work to write the book, although the main reason was I simply didn’t have time until I retired.


What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

Most of the criticism I received from editors was minor (albeit extensive). I was surprised, however, when one editor related that he found a few stories and statements “unbelievable”, and a few exhibited “hubris”. I think these comments arose from the perspective of someone who has lived a more sheltered life from mine. There’s nothing unbelievable in the book and there are no instances of hubris, from the perspective of someone who has lived a risky life like mine. It’s as honest as I could make it. However, I took these comments seriously, and modified the text to convey the life experiences in a way that would be understandable to a broader readership.


What has been your best accomplishment?

Being happily married for over thirty years.

Do you Google yourself?

I have now! I’m glad the memoir pops up top. Previously, I’d expect that scientific articles or perhaps mountain climbing reports would have risen to the top.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?

I’ve written a collection of short stories. I’m trying to figure out


what to do with this, or the individual stories, as publishing fiction is a different beast compared to nonfiction.

Fun question – if you were princess or prince, what’s one thing you would do to make your kingdom a better place?

Give everyone a good education.

Do you have anything specific that you would like to say to your readers?

I hope you enjoy the book!



No comments:

Post a Comment